An experienced entrepreneur and business leader, Benjamin “Ben” Shoval maintains responsibilities as president of Shoval & Co. In his spare time, Ben Shoval relaxes through activities like meditation. For those new to mediating, consider the following tips:
1. Create a routine. Establish a daily routine and leave reminders for yourself when first starting out. Choose a time of day that you can commit to regularly and without time constraints. Some meditation professionals recommend scheduling your sessions in the morning.
2. Stretch beforehand. Complete a series of stretches before beginning in order to prepare your body to sit in a single position for an extended period of time. Even a simple neck roll or back stretch can help relax muscles.
3. Count breaths. After settling into your meditation position, help yourself relax by counting your breaths as you breathe in and out. Count each inhale and exhale until you reach 10 and begin again. Remember to draw out each breath and breathe slowly.
4. Remain optimistic. Commit yourself to giving meditation an honest attempt and approach the activity with an open mind. Refrain from judging yourself or techniques, and experiment with different forms of meditation.
5. Disregard the details. Avoid worrying about the “correct” way to meditate, the proper position to sit, or the specific details of any one technique. Focus instead on steadying your breathing and allowing yourself to relax.